The WNC Forest Owner’s Resource Directory has launched to provide an online directory of forest management services and resources for owners of forestland in western NC.
The directory will be used by private landowners in the region seeking service providers, supplies, and other resources for managing small forest ownerships, including businesses who may be interested in purchasing timber and non-timber forest products.
Listing your business in the directory will also improve your online search rankings in Google and other search sites!
The directory is being developed through the Western North Carolina Forest Products Cooperative Marketing Project, with funding from the American Recovery & Reinvestment Act and U.S. Forest Service Southern Research Station.
If you provide services or resources related to forest management, or if you are a buyer of forest products, you can submit your listing information at the website: http://wncforestowners.org/
Listing categories include:
- Forestry & Land Management Services
- Timber Harvest Professionals
- Non-timber Harvest Professionals
- Wood Milling
- Native Plant Suppliers
- Buyers of Timber Products
- Buyers of Non-timber Products
- Marketing, Branding & Certification
- Support Agencies & Organizations
New! Shiitake Mushroom Production Guide – created by NCSU Cooperative Extension
Forest Project Handout 11.15.11 – Southern Appalachian Man and the Biosphere Conference held in Asheville, NC, November 15-17, 2011
Forest Project in Photos – Meet our business participants and see what they have been working on over the last year.
NTFPs in Maine – Check out what this group in Maine is working on.
- NCs Forestry PUV Program NCSU 2011
- Know Your Rights Under the Davis-Bacon Act
- Know Your Rights under Government Contracts
- Know Your Rights Under the Recovery Act
- The I-9 Form
- W9 Form
- Plan of Work
- Southern Appalachian Workgroup Final Report
Does Your Forest Talk Money?
ASAP Marketing Opportunities for Farmers – 2011 Conference
Marketing Opportunities for Farmers Workshop Presentation
Please see http://www.asapconnections.org/MOFF2011.html for more information.
The advisor organizations listed below are providing services in a variety of ways. Some have provided advice and assistance to the project, while others are directly assisting the funded businesses. Many of these organizations are providing their time and services to the planned workshop series. Their assistance has, and continues to be, instrumental in the overall success of the project.
- NCSU Forestry ExtensionNCSU Department of Forestry and Environmental Resources
- Virginia Tech Department of Wood Science
- Virginia Tech Department of Forest Resources and
- Environmental Conservation
- Society of American Foresters, Pisgah Chapter
- Blue Ridge Forest Co-op
- National Network of Forest Practitioners
- Rainforest Alliance
- WNC Green Building Council
- Moon Branch Botanicals
- Western Carolina University
- USFS Southern Research Station representative(s)
- Small Business Technology Development Center
- The Conservation Fund’s Natural Capital Investment Fund
- HandMade in America
- North Carolina LEAP (Lawyers for Entrepreneurs Assistance Program)
- Center for Community Self-Help